Thursday, February 24, 2011

Orange Savarin


When I was flipping through the CIA's baking book, I found a recipe for Pineapple Savarin. I didn't have any idea what savarin was and I looked up that on the internet.

What is Savarin?
Savarin is a French cake named after Brillat-Savarin, the famous 18th century gastronome and writer. The cake is almost a bread and is leavened with yeast. In fact, it does have some similarities to Brioche, though it is a bit less rich and much less time consuming to make. The yeast caked is not very sweet and primarily has a buttery flavor to it. After it has been baked, while it is still hot from the oven, a sugar syrup is poured over the cake to sweeten it and make it incredibly moist.

This is right after baked before being soaked in the syrup. It has a lot of pore 
because of the yeast leavening and it is really light. This pore absorbs a lot 
of syrup and traps them. That's why savarin is super moist. 

We had a lot of Tangerine Orange and some of them began to be rotten. To save these miserable oranges, I used them instead of Pineapple. For garnish, I made a cute orange chips. Once I had a pink grapefruits chips at restaurant and it was really beautiful. I wondered how to make it and this time I could make it using orange. It was super easy to make it and I think we can make other kinds of fruit chip; grape chip, kiwi fruit chips, cherry chips...


The recipe called for a Chantilly cream for a garnish. For a developing chef, this was new word and I looked up than on the internet... 

What' the heck Chantilly Cream?
Chantilly ( pronounced "shahn-tee-yee" in France; "shan-ti-ly" in America) is French for "sweetened whipped cream. Some chef use confectioners sugar in their whipped cream. Actually I used it to make whipped cream for the first time and I thought I could make a lighter whipped cream than a whipped cream made with granulated sugar. 

From this experience, I got a new idea. I think it would be nice to make a chocolate Savarin! I'm gonna make dark chocolate Savarin and that will be soaked into the flavored melted chocolate. Once the chocolate gets cooled down and gets solid, I think it would be interesting texture!

No comments:

Post a Comment